How to be happy at work
If we work harder we’ll be more successful and if we’re more successful we’ll be happier, right? Wrong!
In one of my favourite TED talks Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage talks (very quickly) about his research in positive psychology and why we may just have everything back to front.
In summary: When our brain is in a positive state it performs significantly better than it does at negative, neutral or stressed. At positive our intelligence rises, our energy levels increase, our creativity rises and we are better at securing and keeping great jobs .
So how do we create a positive state? Research shows that just 2 minutes per day for 21 days committed to one of the following actions can allow us to re-train our brains and work more successfully:
1) writing a 2 minute email praising someone you know
2) writing down three things for which you’re grateful
3) journaling about a positive experience for 2 minutes
4) doing cardio exercise for 30 minutes, or
5) meditating for just 2 minutes.
Do you do any of these things? If not, try it today. Just 21 days could have an enormous impact on your career and your life.